The SHETLAND division is a rudimentary form of baseball that focuses on instruction rather than competition. Coaches are permitted on the field to teach while the game is in progress. Players have the opportunity to try various positions. The idea is to help boys and girls learn the basic fundamentals of the game by actually playing it. Every player bats in every inning, receiving 3 machine pitches then if needed, a batting tee is used. All hitting is designed to help the player learn the proper way to swing the bat. Bases are 50 feet apart and a 2500 square foot diamond is used. A safety ball is used the entire season.
- Players who are age 5 or 6 as of April 30, 2017
- Softer baseball is used to help protect players from injury
- Pitching machine is used; after three pitches, a tee is used if needed
- All players bat every inning; players move around field defensively
- Players attend evaluations and will be drafted onto team designed to ensure parity
- One weekday practice and one Saturday game per week
- All practices/games held at South Weddington Park Fields 4S & 4N